Friday, October 22, 2010

TENT ROCK

The tent rock landscape, seemingly about a square mile of mostly cliffs, is biscuit colored. Parts of it that we walked close to were like bread with crunchy, nutty stuff (small rocks in this case) added to the crust. Rounded larger rocks darker and sometimes bluish in color stuck out here and there from the cliffs like accents.

Countless volcanic layers are separated by bands of hardened dust. This landscape must have been underwater for eons, since the winding forms are smoothed out and serpentine. It’s called tent rock because of bountiful pyramidal shapes that have the curious feature of round mounds atop them—like ice cream cones turned upside down with the scoop attached to their apexes.

We walked upwards through a canyon that is often very narrow. Large trees have fallen across the top in a few places, like beams, and boulders get wedged into it. The largest bolder I saw was about the size of the largest whales.

Since the canyon was formed by nature it doesn’t necessarily go along the ideal route of a trail, and so boulders might have been artificially located to create rugged steps that lead upward in a predetermined manner.

As so often these days, poor sleep made walking a strain, but I managed to not lag far behind Sandi. As usual, I improve when I get thoroughly warmed up. We got almost to the top, then hearing from a downward trekker that there wasn’t a loop to take us back down on the other side, we started back the way we came.

Three-quarter of the way down we came across a party: a young, good looking couple with the woman holding a baby, and an ancient couple standing in the shade. Before I took time to audit my words, I blurted out: “You can do it. I’m in my seventies, and I went all the way!” To which the old man responded, turning to his smiling wife, “Seventies? What about (something I didn’t hear)?” It could have been eighties, or maybe even nineties. They were very old, and did well to get that far. At the rate I’m going, I wouldn’t be able to make it there at their age. It was stupid of me.

No comments: