Tuesday, March 13, 2018

In the picture on the left, the "star" of the scene is the decorative crown. It's not nothing. There's heart and SOUL in that little piece of structure. It's the crowning jewel of the tower. Now you impose a much larger and harsher intervention, with brighter colors, to distract from the crown. To disrespect that feeling, that delicacy, that softness and lyricism. This is bad manners, visually, culturally and otherwise. People with that degree of insensitive can't run a community wisely. I'm glad this is being brought to light here; it might well be a metaphor for the buttu-ization of Jamaica, with all that this implies. My own struggle to overcome it in other areas of my behavior makes me recognize bad manners when I see it in the visual world. It cuts across all classes and issues.

No comments: