Thursday, November 9, 2017

Dennis Higgins Update

KEEPING YOU POSTED


Return Email From Dennis Higgins:

Dear Trevor,

I got your email and how delightful it is for us to be in comunication. We have no time to loose. My current struggle is to save my late aunt's residence and business place as it is actually the town agent for Annandale property plus her husband was the first Mayor of St. Ann. Let me print your last email and appreciate it.

I did form St. Ann Heritage Foundation for some years as a formal NGO but so much documentation. We actually used it to make Marcus Garvey's house a national heritage site but the Govt. is rather slow in implementing the project. There is funding in grants available but there are those who only are trying to get at the money and heaven knows what happens to it.

Mr. Hugh Lyon is so concerned that the Den where his ancesstors were born the ownership was changed by another family member and although we had a preservation order from the Jamaica National Heritage Trust we do not have a copy. I did create a heritage tour of StAnn's Bay as an income generating project ocarry on our work but there lies the greedy ones. You may visit www.walking tour of St Ann's Bay / Georgian Society.



SOME IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATIONS

- money
We can't afford any sloppiness with money. When I was founding director of East Palo Alto Historical and Agricultural Society (next door to Palo Alto) we were never in the red. 

- control
I did not get significantly paid until weeks before the "welfare" board members who wanted jobs fired me. (The organization quickly folded.) Dennis might be having trouble with such types, and we have to make sure to steer clear of them.
 
- transparency
Radical transparency is needed in order to avoid entanglements over and misuse of money.

- goals
A Marcus Garvey Heritage Preservation Program could aim to make the whole of "old town" of SAB a heritage site.

- nature of organization
How do we go about this--an ambitious concept that has many moving parts--effectively and efficiently, saving ourselves unwanted stress and overwork?

- mark lyon
Dennis mentioned the issues with the Lyon legacy buildings, but it's far from clear where Mark stands on almost any issue.

- coordination of interests 
Which among these are in step with "us?" -- Marcus Garvey High School, Marcus Garvey Center, National Trust, Burrowes "family," Lyon "family," town's monuments structure, Georgian Society, cemeteries, statues, planning prescriptions, etc.  

- Arscott Building Restoration
Where does my Ntl Trust draft letter fit in?

- Louise Pink Henriques
Louise is the daughter of my first (favourite) cousin, Paul Pink. As a somewhat beleaguered child I was befriended by older cousin Paul, to whom I was forever attached. Louise has also been a good past support to my mother, and is someone that we all greatly trust and admire. But she's also super practical and focused (failings of mine) and I'm very reluctant to try and involve her. I once heard that she gave tours, but I don't know details. Someone else would have to try (diplomatically) to work with her.. 

No comments: