Wednesday, November 15, 2017

  • Tim Groves,
    I think I’ve already grasped what you’re saying…to a significant degree anyway. I hope the following makes a valid point to the effect that you can have your cake and eat it too. I have a problem with looking at the money system in a simple, isolated way. There are many other considerations that the money argument tends to ignore. Those, like energy that no one considers, ultimately affect the money system too. So I look at a typical mega hotel beach design, and comment about it (one with similar design issues) beneath.
    Depriving the beach of natural vegetation seems to be a cultural decision and not an economic one. You could argue that this bare-beach style is popular around the world, and is what tourists expect. I would argue that there are (admittedly fewer) examples of tourists enjoying beaches with their original natural vegetation. I could argue that this would be better for the wildlife and aesthetics, and that there are tourists who would like that too. I could also conclude that the mass culture mentality–treat people like cattle and cater to their basest instincts–is not a winning strategy over all, and can successfully be opposed. So no, thumbs down on this beach.
  • I was pointing to it as an insensitive design–huge environmental destruction, loss of local nature and beauty–not having anything to do with making money. I argue that you can train tourists to fit in with a more natural setting. I find that being sensitive means you consider more things, including innovative ways to cater to a diversity of income levels.

No comments: