Sunday, April 1, 2018

Historic Preservation in Jamaica

Trevor Burrowes Paul Chang I'm not there, and the upsurge in caring and consciousness since I was involved in the '60s is nothing short of astonishing. So a lot is happening, but what is bewildering is why it doesn't keep pace with the concrete Miamization as people make more money and the population soars (and governance declines?). Preservation consciousness is just not keeping pace. I have suggested that there needs to be a "man on a galloping horse" quick pass throughout the island--not trying to do el primo restoration of anything, just noting, recording, photographing what is there now. I truly believe that consciousness of what is there is the indispensable first step in awakening public consciousness. Then towns and parishes could engage in friendly competition to see who can do best at using and benefiting from colonial heritage. But my views don't seem to be widely shared, and I can't think of anything else that I could help with.

No comments: