Friday, April 13, 2018

VERNACULAR AND ESTABLISHMENT

"so no—you do not live on 650 a month, you live on the benefits that 200 years worth of industrial development has delivered and currently maintains.—you get 650 energy tokens each month to let you buy the end products of our colossal industrial system"

I'm aware of that. But I have a way to live somewhat comfortably within that system, while not making much effort. It suits me. Some people make far more energy tolens with each breath. There is probably a cost for the inequality. I am trying to keep down that cost (much as I don't know how to describe it). A great proportion of the population use energy avoiding my sort of relative poverty, and that probably has a cost too (equally hard to quantify and describe...for me anyway).

So I'm in an intermediate space between those who earn my monthly token worth every time they breath, and those who live way outside this bubble of luxury I'm aware that i live in. This imbalance between the poles on either side of me probably has a cost that would be better avoided.

You can give me some abstract formula for why things must continue on like this and get even more unbalanced, but I will insist on attempting to bring those poles more into the middle. Not that I'd expect them to MEET in the middle.

The fact that we have nuclear sites requiring eternal and sophisticated management means we need an unspecified but advanced-enough civilization to remain somewhere in some form. J. B. Jackson, who was "was influential in broadening the perspective on the 'vernacular' landscape" proposed two complementary systems: the "establishment" and the "vernacular." .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._B._Jackson While I'm more oriented toward the vernacular than the establishment, OFW has helped me to better accept the role of the establishment--meaning for our discussion, some sort of networked economic system (that I admittedly don't understand, but that highly trained "experts" have a working grasp of). The vernacular and the establishment can be in better balance than they are. I'm quite sure there is theory that elegantly explains what I'm saying, but I won't search it out for you, and you wouldn't accept it anyway.

I'm talking about factors like nuance and balance. I suspect I'm no more equipped to see you point than you are to see mine. A pity. We generally do better when we can learn from each other. I'm also trying to be constructive.

No comments: