Tuesday, May 12, 2020

SUSAN NK

Patsy Pink gave me some names of business people, but I'm still too confused to contact them. St. Ann's Bay needs a coherent nation building program. Toward that end I started off three years ago trying to make a comprehensive list of institutions. But I've recently tried whittling down my intended purview to what really interests me most. That is the preservation/celebration of the town's historic material culture. At the same time, and seemingly related, is a strong interest in urban and land use planning. But the latter, by definition, includes all aspects of town life, which, as a single individual far away, is a bridge too far.

The plan done by the Trust for Falmouth was sort of in my area of focus, but I'm way too unprofessional (and amorphous) to even try to replicate that. It doesn't clear up the confusion to note that even the gorgeous Falmouth plan is not being supported by the mayor, and that vile defacements continue. So one can learn to focus and do things by the book and still not have it lead to change. There are too many pieces to this puzzle. At the end of the day, I'm only an artist.

For the moment, I'm just posting pictures and writing anything that the little voice insider me recommends. 

I've tried asking for help online:

- Dore Tate (who is way busy, but a solid supporter); 
- Doris Gross (who has building projects in SAB, and is efficient in whatever she does--like taking by far the most relevant photos we have so far--although she is over busy too
- Donnette Ingrid Zacca (who seems somewhat over her head with projects)
- Alison Martin (who was replying wonderfully, and then just disappeared--couldn't deal with the crazy guy, presumably.

I'm trying for a grant to fund Donnette to do photos for a publication. Now, how you actually *produce and market* such a publication isn't in my skill set. (In the Bay Area, I got the National Park Service as one of two partners to produce a community plan. It wa professionally done, but only a planner would *maybe* choose to read it.) http://www.urbanecology.org/downloads/WeeksNeighborhoodPlan.pdf

Donnette recommended talking to the Custos, and I've written a couple times and been replied to a couple times. Still no help with the little Main Street building I want to board up. And I sense that she only replied because I'm related to the Pinks. I don't know where her true interests lie. Philosophically, I might be close to Brett, in that I can see heavy reliance going forward on the British colonial governance system, including Custodes. And Norma Walters could be a part of the Back to the Future regime. Like me, she can see the requirement for promoting Garvey, but I don't think she's thought it out very well. Something gets written, but no actual program on the ground supports it. 

With the Chinese economy down a bit, I'm hoping for some respite from their massacre of old buildings...long enough to get a publication out there that might promote a changed outlook.

Thanks a lot for these names.

The Jamaican Georgian Society us worth having contact with. Not sure who the North Coast person is now but Marina Delfoss would know. She does heritage tours in Falmouth.
Also, Judy Schonbein who dies Falmouth but recently started one of Ochie.

"Best to work with local business and civic people who are sympathetic to a vision that involves retaining heritage."

No comments: